Here is a summary of some house rules made by other wargamers and discussed in the Pz8 Yahoogroup and in the Pz blog... do you have other ideas / modifications / improvements to the Pz8 wargaming rules ? Publish them here, I want to see!
Pz8 WW1 Divisional Rules – House Rules by Alan Saunders
1) Preliminary Bombardment cost is 2AP instead of 3 AP
2) Assaults from more than one square cannot be combined. However the defendere takes a – 1 for each assault they fight against in the same turn. In addition, all AP allocated to the first assault are kept – neither the attatacker nor the defender adds new AP for the subsequents assaults. You reroll the dice each time, though (same for MGs). In other words, the AP allocated to assaulting a square counts for all assualts made against that square in that turn.
3) the attacker (only) roll a D6 once both assault totals are determined, getting a
-1 to their total on a 1-2 and a +1 on a 5-6.
4) in the basic scenarios, instead of having 18 trenches, 12 wire and 3 bunkers, each side gets 6 + 2D6 trenches, 6 + 1D6 wire and 1D3 bunkers.
Legio VIII - House Rules by Lex
+ 1 for attacking with pilum and similar htw;
- 1 for mounted fighting Elephants (Monsters & Flying Creatures in the fantasy
+ 1 for unit rallying, if supported by 2 other friendly units within 2”
cavalry can pass light infantry
The Giant Spider From Outer Space – House Rules by Rob
Heroes: move 1D3, range 6 inches, get +1 to attacks like jeep/tank / 3 points
First, let me say that I and my group really like your rule sets. We've used them on several occasions (as a supplement to our Sci-Fi RPG’s) and I’m working on a campaign centered around your rules and an alien invasion of Earth. I recently joined the Yahoo Group to try to participate in discussions around these rules, but can’t stand Yahoo’s layout. Thank you for adding a less cumbersome forum to your page.
I enjoy tinkering with rules and made a bunch of house rules and changes to the Sci-Fi rules and am working on several more ideas such as “heroic and super heroic units” “zombie hordes”, “drone swarms”, and giant monsters and vehicles.
The current rule set we use contains a lot of your original ideas, as well as incorporating many of our own variations (for instance we were frustrated by the artillery rules and re-wrote them.) I also added a unit point cost (before the newer Sci-Fi version contained them), and several other changes such as technology levels and accounted for how this dominates the battlefield.
I currently have two versions of the rules. One uses just six sided dice, and the other incorporates d8 and d10 when dealing with technological advancements.
Thanks again for these easy to use rules.
A couple of months ago I adapted the Colonial rules to WW1 Africa. It worked out reasonably well. Some kinks with what I did with airplanes (essentially flying machine guns) and artillery was devastating. I will dig those out and post them. I cannot remember if I wrote up a battle report. Man, life would be easier with a memory, right?